He can’t post to Warpgate9.com right now (server maintenance), so I’m posting it here instead. This is his post from the Gearbox forum, in response to Gearbox having procured the rights to the Homeworld franchise.
I basically just logged in to insult Gearbox and tell them how much they suck, but I see that divine duty is already being taken care of, so instead I will attempt a measured and polite post.
What I would like from a new Homeworld:
1. It must be an RTS just as before. Not a MOBA, or a shooter or an ARPG. A real-time strategy game with resource gathering and everything else.
2. The game must capture the mood of its predecessors. The creative director must understand the value of subtlety too. Even with battles at their most grand, the undertones were always slightly melancholy. Delivered in part by the pacing, but also the illusion of scale that the backdrop provided. It made you feel small. And underneath all of that was the Paul Ruskay soundtrack – that wailing middle-eastern sound and earthiness.
3. Paul Ruskay on music.
4. Homeworld 2 had the most amazing skyboxes. Be just as amazing. Even half as amazing and it’ll be fine.
5. A meaningful single player campagin.
6. Good old-fashioned pay and play. None of this f2p nonsense.
7. Mac and Linux versions. If supporting multiple platforms is difficult for you, you are doing it wrong.
8. DO NOT: Use the phrase “badass” in your design meetings, it’s a sure sign of suckage. Basically, leave your “bro” outside the door. You’re writing poetry, not making a Michael Bay movie.